A People Place
If this is not a place where tears are understood,
Where do I go to cry?
If this is not a place where my spirits can take wing,
Where do I go to fly?
If this is not a place where my questions can be asked,
Where do I go to seek?
If this is not a place where my feelings can be heard,
Where do I go to speak?
If this is not a place where you’ll accept me as I am,
Where can I go to be?
If this is not a place where I can try to learn and grow,
Where can I just be me?
Learning Area 1:
Children and Adults as High Achieving Learners
- Children have a good understanding of how they are doing with their learning
- Children are clear about their next steps for learning
- Children work in an independent way
- Staff develop their own practice and that of others
- Successes are shared
- Standards are high across the curriculum
Learning Area 2:
A Creative Curriculum
- Teach a curriculum that feeds the imagination
- Work from a topic based curriculum
- Give status and emphasis to foundations subjects
- Education at Duncombe to be a child centred, exciting journey
Learning Area 3:
Strong Parental Links
- Parents/carers know what is happening in school — they are aware of visitors and visits
- Parents/carers who are involved in school, who help in classrooms and in the playground
- Parents/carers who are good role models for the children
- Parents/carers who feel welcome in school
Learning Area 4:
Children As Ambitious Citizens
- Children use the vocabulary of emotional literacy
- Children show perseverance
- Children use problem solving skills
- Children understand the World and their place in it
- All members of the school community show respect and tolerance for others
- Teach a well developed PSHE/citizenship curriculum
- Strong links with business and Industry
- Role models used to build ambition
- Developed cultural/geographical awareness
Duncombe’s Learning Journey
Imagine a journey travelled by everyone. Picture it winding through a landscape of discovery, where each destination is a milestone of achievement. Imagine each traveller preparing for their journey, using their strengths and knowing their weaknesses, packing up their own experiences, ready to share and use as they wend their way. See how they take their own paths at different speeds but travel in harmony. Watch how they take turns to lead and to follow: Acting as guides to some and being inspired by others. See how when each tires at points through the journey, they are encouraged and supported by others — laughter is a common occurrence. See how the changing and diverse landscape opens up new horizons for the traveller. See their determination to stride confidently into the wider world.
Watch how others come and join the journey for a while — either to lead, follow, share or reflect. See how they are welcomed — hear the tales that are told by the travellers of adventures, successes and dreams. Notice how the visitors smile and laugh, ask questions and carry the tales of success with them into the World. See these stories spread — the group of travellers grows in momentum, their stories are heard far and wide throughout the land. People who hear of their adventures come to see, to learn, to participate, to celebrate.
Picture a journey where every land is a new challenge, met with courage and a sense of adventure. Picture a journey where individuals have a special place in the heart of a team. Picture a journey of learning, fulfilled by a love of learning. Picture this journey, and you have found Duncombe — a home for the heart, soul and mind that can be carried on the journey of life.